Are you taking on the Turkey yourself and need a few more tips to help you get through the weekend?
- Take a deep breath, start cooking on Wednesday and find some helpers! Remember, you can reduce an enormous amount of stress by starting things early. Almost everything can be made or prepped the day before.
- Set your timer & find your thermometer! You should calculate on cooking your turkey according to its weight. Allow 20 minutes per pound for 8-12 pound birds, 15 minutes per pound for 12-16 pounders. Let your turkey “sit” and rest for 10-15 minutes before carving it once it hits an internal temp of 155 degrees. Perfect internal temperature should be at 160-165 degrees. Then, your ready to eat. Get to 180 degrees and you’re overcooked!
- Smaller birds cook better: “They” say you should calculate 1.5 lbs of turkey per guest. That means 6-guests=9lb turkey. Since smaller birds tend to cook better, go with 2 smaller birds (12-lb max) as your guest list increases.
Going somewhere “else” for dinner?
- Offer to bring a side dish or appetizer. I’m making creamy mashed potatoes AND prosciutto pear bites!
- Grab some fresh bread from the local bakery. Pair with real artisan butter and you’ll be loved.
- Flowers and vino. You can’t go wrong with wine. For a sweet touch, pair with fresh flowers for the host.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!