Now that Thanksgiving is at our doorstep, everyone is cooking! And cooking with fresh herbs is the best, right? Instead of buying fresh herbs every week at the market, I planted my first garden! Why now after all the plants that I’ve killed? Well, I’ve been inspired, by Annie’s Homegrown Root 4 Kids campaign and by my 1-year old son– to do things better, cook more, eat fresher and really understand my food. Starting a garden is a great step in that direction.
We planted Rosemary, Dark Italian Parsley, Oregano, Tri-Color Sage, Thyme, Marjoram & edible Violas. This time, I decided to get some help from the pros at Sunnyside Nursery. Check out our latest episode on planting your own herb garden.
Their best advice:
- Move your plants into a planter
- Use good, fresh potting soil (organic works great)
- Expose to plenty of natural light/shield from too much wind
- Water, water, water (soil should “slightly damp”, not too wet)
- Trim and use often in cooking!
Instead of shopping madness this holiday weekend, why not join Root 4 Kids with me and plant your own garden? Sending you gardening success and a wonderful Thanksgiving!
I’ve been waiting since last Thanksgiving to tell you about Cook! SF’s amazing Thanksgiving Feast. If you want to host your very own, organically scrumptious, homemade Thanksgiving, but want to take some of the hassle out of the process (or you’re a procrastinator like me, which inevitably brings hassle), have Cook! SF help you. They deliver the goods, you cook by following their easy instructions and pre-measured ingredients. Here’s what you will get delivered to your doorstep:
Serving 8-10 Guests
- Free-range Organic Turkey
- Real Turkey Gravy From Home-Made Stock
- Our Famous Corn Bread Stuffing
- Creamy Organic Red-Skin Mashed Potatoes
- Sumptuously Steamed Organic Green Beans
- Organic Spring Mix Salad with Crumbled Blue Cheese (optional), Pears, Walnuts, Dried Cranberries
- Zesty Orange and Ginger Cranberry Sauce
- Gluten-free & Dairy-free pumpkin pie
- Apple pie so good you won’t believe there’s no gluten or dairy!
Check out their video explaining how it works and their website, but don’t delay – ORDERS MUST BE MADE BY THIS FRIDAY, November 19, 2010.
For more information, please visit: http://www.cooksf.com
Facebook lovers: http://www.facebook.com/CookSF
If I was hosting my own this year, I would definitely go Cook! I kinda wish we were in our new place, but the relatives locked us in at their place :0)